Would Jesus have an iPhone? Would Jesus be on Facebook? Would Jesus use Twitter?
I’m not sure, but my hunch is ‘yes’.
Why? Well, I am reading through the gospels this morning, and am just struck by how often Jesus is interrupted…even in His quiet times, and is willing to use them for the gospel! Have a listen to this from Mark 1:
35 Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed. 36 Simon and his companions went to look for him, 37 and when they found him, they exclaimed: “Everyone is looking for you!”
38 Jesus replied, “Let us go somewhere else—to the nearby villages—so I can preach there also. That is why I have come.”
Now, I don’t have an iPhone, but I do have a poor man’s iPhone (Windows 7 HTC…it’s a long story) and the thing that I love about it is the thing I hate about it…I am connected ALL THE TIME. Email, text, voice mail, twitter, facebook, ect all vie for my attention all the time. Sometimes I just want to turn it off and tune out!
Now, whilst I think we should have tech breaks/ social media Sabbaths, I also think these things can be used for good.
Here are a few random thoughts (hence my blog):
- Jesus always went to quiet places…that is, he always desired a quiet time and made decisions to do it. We should do the same, we should turn these things off from time to time.
- Jesus was often interrupted, but it didn’t annoy him…indeed, he saw it as an opportunity to preach the gospel. Why? Matthew reminds us that He looked up and saw sheep without a Shepherd and had compassion. We too should have compassion, no matter how badly timed the interruption.
- Jesus lived in a crazy world, He was always in demand…we need to realise that, as ‘The praying life’ says, we can’t always make our life less busy, but we can make our heart less busy.
- Stop whining about being interrupted…get over it.
- Turn your iPhone/ or poor man’s iPhone, off for at least an hour a day and concentrate on God.
- When you get interrupted, look for a gospel opportunity.