This morning I am sitting in Starbucks, reflecting on the church and the last 3 days. It has a been a roller coaster ride of speaking in Aberystwyth CU on Friday, Bala at a leaders conference on Saturday and Sunday, and then going to a key church leaders meeting last night. In all of it I have been reminded of the goodness of God, the mission of the church, and how God ALWAYS get’s His way.
As we are preaching through 1 Corinthians at the moment, I am reminded that:
1:5 says that the church ‘been enriched in every way—with all kinds of speech and with all knowledge’.
12:7 says that ‘Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good.‘
As I sit here this morning, this is all I know:
- God is building His church
- No one loves the Church like Jesus does
- The Holy Spirit empowers the Church
But I also know:
- God has designed the Church to be lead by fallen humans…evidences of grace
- Christ has commissioned us to be Salt and Light in society through the a messy church
- The Spirit has given us all the gifts we need to do that
When Paul left Titus on Crete, he told him to straighten out the church…to appoint godly elders, teach all the generations and reach out to the community. I pray, that by the power of the Spirit we would be doing that….but, actually, I THANK God that we ARE doing that. And all by the grace of God.
Right, back to my coffee…