I’ve been at home ‘ill’ today, and so thought I’d get back to writing this blog. I’ve got loads of Calvin quotes to put up, and an update on the banana event. But I thought I would start a little series looking at how different churches are responding to the recession.
First off is the mighty John Piper. He preached a wonderful and challenging message at the start of February that you can watch here.
Here are his 5 purposes of God in the recession:
- He intends for this recession to expose hidden sin and so bring us to repentance and cleansing.
- He intends to wake us up to the constant and desperate condition of the developing world where there is always and only recession of the worst kind.
- He intends to relocate the roots of our joy in his grace rather than in our goods, in his mercy rather than our money, in his worth rather than our wealth.
- He intends to advance his saving mission in the world—the spread of the gospel and the growth of his church—precisely at a time when human resources are least able to support it. This is how he guards his glory.
- He intends for the church to care for its hurting members and to grow in the gift of love.
I pray we use this recession His purpose.
Next up, Covenant Life Church…